Facing a criminal allegation is distressing. What seems to be the weight and resources of ‘the state’ bearing down on an individual is bound to make for a traumatic experience for anyone, even for those who may have some previous experience of the criminal justice system.
The suspect or defendant is at the heart of the criminal justice system, and it is important to us at RG&Co that those we represent understand everything that is going on in their case at every step of the investigation or proceedings.
Whether you contact us through the Salisbury, New Milton or Chippenham offices you will access a team of highly motivated, dedicated and experienced lawyers who have dealt with cases at all levels, whether in the Magistrates’ Court, Crown Court, Court Martial or Court of Appeal.
We provide a call-out service to assist clients in police custody 24 hours a day, 365 days a year FREE OF CHARGE.
For police station emergencies our duty solicitor can be contacted on one of our 24-hour emergency out-of-hours telephone numbers:
Wiltshire: 07872 838147
New Milton / Southampton / Lyndhurst areas: 07774 448118
We deal with cases free of charge under the Legal Aid scheme at police stations. Legal Aid is means tested in both the Crown Court and Magistrates’ Court. For full details on whether you qualify for Legal Aid and how to submit an application for Legal Aid please see the Legal Aid section of our Funding page.
We pride ourselves on high levels of professional service and client satisfaction. While our lawyers have dealt with some of the most serious and sensitive Crown Court cases in the south of England, we can also offer advice on all aspects of Criminal Law at all levels of complexity.
We also offer highly competitive private client rates for those who do not qualify under the Legal Aid scheme. For full details please see the Private Client section of our Funding page.
Some of Our Notable Cases
- Our Criminal Defence team represented Mr C. in R v C and 10 others  Bournemouth Crown Ct. Our client was the only defendant to be acquitted on the charge of conspiracy to import tobacco.
- In Fisher  at Winchester Crown Ct, a case concerning the possession of £0.25 million worth of class A drugs and intent to supply, our client was acquitted after a re-trial.
- R v Q . Murder of the defendant’s girlfriend. The defendant was a Portuguese national who fled to Spain, was arrested under an international arrest warrant and returned to the UK. There were complex issues of the right to detain a suspect in police custody after returning to the UK. The case invoked a major IPCC investigation, which was very critical of Wiltshire Constabulary. The current police policy on domestic violence cases was born out of the recommendations. This amounted to a major change in force policy.
- Our team represented the defendant in R v D  at Bristol Crown Court. This case referred to an active UK-based paedophile ring that was prosecuted by the National Crime Agency. However, our client was acquitted of conspiring to rape.
- In R v B  we acted in defence of an army sergeant accused of raping his wife and secured a not guilty verdict.
- Our team represented a Managing Director of Supplies to both Defence Industry of Police on Conspiracy to Defraud. Unlike our client’s co-defendants, our client was acquitted with costs.
”I don’t know how to put into words our thanks and gratitude for everything you have done for us as a family. It has been a very traumatic time and any questions or concerns I had were quickly handled and with empathy, which was what got us though this difficult time. Your bubbly and positive personality and attitude is infectious which made me feel at ease and instilled positivity into me too. As you know we are not from the area, but should we or anyone else need a recommendation for a lawyer you would be our top choice. Thank you for everything you have done for our family and you really are a credit to the company you work for.”
“I really appreciate what you did for me. I know I can be an arrogant sod sometimes but thank you so much for staying and helping when you had no need. The world needs more people like you.”
“I just want to send a thank you to Matthew for helping me today in court, there are no words to express how thankful I am for his not only professional approach during my court case, but also personally helping me through a extremely hard time.”
“I would like to say a huge thank you for all the work and effort you put into my case. You have altered the way my future may have gone to a positive one. Thank you very much.”
“Thank you so much for everything – we really do appreciate all your efforts and with such little time to prepare! It was a good result.”
“Thank you for the kindness, patience and understanding you have shown us over the last few months. “Thank you” is not nearly enough, but we wouldn’t have got through it without your support.”
“I am most grateful to you for dealing so successfully with my recent summons. If it had not been for your expert handling I am sure I would have been much more severely punished.”
“I thank you from the very bottom of our hearts for all of your efforts, time and support you devoted to my case.”
“Just to say a heartfelt thank you for your professionalism and guidance through my time of need. You were fabulous. Should I find myself in this position again I will certainly contact you.”